Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why I Love Numbers

photo source

1 is unique. The smallest and only number that is something without being multiple. It is the original. 1 is something we strive for in our lives. We want to be first, to be unique, to be the most important.

2 is the smallest group. It suggests balance and symmetry; we have two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, two arms, two legs, two kidneys. If one fails, there is still one more. Without the number 2, there would be no great romances. There is a level of intimacy and connection which can only be had between two people. When to each one, the other is the most important. A one looks at another one and sees them as exactly that: unique. special. the most important.

3
is a magic number. There is something about the number three which has captivated cultures. The spiral of life, which symbolizes life, death, and rebirth. The similar triskele, with its three spheres symbolizing land, earth, and sky (all the aspects of the material world). The holy trinity: Father, Son, and Holy spirit. The three gifts of grace: Faith, Hope, and Love. The majority of the world's national flags have only three colors. Some have more. Few have less. Why is this? The number 3 seems just right.

4 is the square. It is strength and stability. Some of the most powerful words are only four letters. Love. Hate. Hope.

5
is something else. We have five fingers on each hand. And five toes on each foot. (Something new parents are fond of counting on their newborns) We have five senses. As far as counting, 5 is the best. Not too many and not too few. The best numbers for lists, by far. I'm sure everyone in the world has thought of their Top 5 something.

6
is interesting. There are six directions: up, down, north, south, east, and west. (I'm sorry I can't think of anything else for this one!)

7
is lucky. There are seven days in a week. (there are plenty of other sevens, but I thought these were the best and most important)

8
is musical. An octave. It is the first day of another week. It is a number of new beginnings.

And finally: 9. 9 is the mother of the other numbers. It is the wisest, and oldest. Remember back in the "olden" days when there were still nine planets? Well, that is what I would have said here, to defend the number nine. But since Pluto isn't a real planet... (I feel really bad because Lilly told me she doesn't like the number nine, and I haven't really given her a reason to like it!)

Do you have a favorite number? Maybe you guys have things to add to what I've said here... :)

6 comments:

Amy Lauren said...

cute!

Here I scribble said...

wonderful post... my fav is 7

Nat said...

wow what a great description! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Heidi! :)
The numbers in this post may be the only numbers I like, most of the time they just dont make sence to me:)
7 is my fav to, its suposed to contain magic powers and its the month of my birthday.
<3

Heidi Rose said...

Thank you guys for your comments!
I too love the number 7. And 3.
But in writing this post, I feel like I have more reason to love each number.

Katie Marie said...

My favorite number is 8. And I love the description... musical :)